Taihape Area School

International Students at Taihape Area School

Introduction

Taihape Area School prepares students for Polytechnic and University Education, and for employment in a wide range of vocations, and has a long academic tradition of producing excellent scholars, as well as productive citizens. Students prepare for NCEA Levels 1, 2 and 3, University Entrance, and Scholarship examinations in a diverse range subjects. As well we offer a wide range of activities, outstanding facilities, and most importantly a well qualified staff.

Taihape Area School is a challenging, exciting and supportive place where students from all parts of the world feel valued and respected. There is a senior staff member in charge of overseas students and special programmes are run for overseas students when necessary.

Why Taihape Area School

Taihape Area School is situated in a unique part of New Zealand, surrounded by much natural beauty and offering many recreational opportunities. Taihape sits in a natural basin surrounded by hills and rivers, and is within touching distance of Mount Ruapehu and Lake Taupo. Taihape is accessed by State Highway 1, which provides ready links with Palmerston North and Wellington in the South, and Taupo, the Bay of Plenty, and Auckland in the North.

Taihape Area School offers an opportunity for Overseas Students to sample the genuine kiwi experinece, to perhaps live on a farm, or in an iconic New Zealand town. The School will offer the following programmes:

• Mainstream
  • Adventure Outdoors
  • Leadership
  • Agriculture
  • Personalised (Combination of each component)

Mainstream

Students will have the opportunity to take part in mainstream school programmes that cater for students from Year 1 (5 years of age) to Year 13 (17 years and older), in a new state of the art school that is at the cutting edge of educational development in New Zealand. TAS had a very high level of ICT capability that enables quick and easy access to the outside world, and educational resources. Individualised progammes cater for the learning needs of all students. ESOL (English as a Second Language) Students will be catered for in mainstream classes, or undertake special programmes.

Adventure Outdoors

Taihape is at the centre of an Adventure Wonderland. Students will be given the opportunity to take part in a wide range of exciting, challenging, and enjoyable activities including:

• Skiing
  • Snow boarding
  • Kayaking
  • Rafting
  • Hiking/Tramping
  • Motor Cross
  • Mountain Biking
  • School Camps (EOTC) and Camping 
  • Fishing

As well traditional activites are also easily accessible:

• Football (soccer)
  • Rugby
  • Hockey
  • Basketball
  • Netball
  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • Cricket
  • Swimming
  • Squash
  • Badminton
  • Table Tennis
  • Gum Boot Throwing (uniques to Taihape!!)

Leadership

Leadership and Team Building activities are incorporated into programmes School-wide, both mainstream and specialised acitivities. Camping, and learning outside the classroom, experiences are an importnat part of the normal school programme, and involve students of all ages.

Agriculture

The School has its own self-contained farm, and runs an agricultural programme that runs parallel to normal school programmes. Students will be given the opportunity to take part in a number of farm related activities including:

• Shearing
  • Fencing
  • Hay making
  • Stock management
  • Forestry

Personalised Programmes

Programmes can be tailored to meet the individual needs, interests, and passions of students.

Home Stay

This year we are looking at enhancing our operation by providing courses for students from overseas. This will have many benefits for the School and our Students, and add a real cosmopolitan feel to the School. The opportunity for our students to rub shoulders with their peers from other countries is both an educational and enlightening experience.

Our unique physical location will enable us to develop programmes containing a range of very exciting and challenging outdoor activities.

To make this possible we are on the lookout for families who would enjoy the opportunity to host International Students. This can be an enriching experience for both parties.

If you are interested please contact the School (06 3880130), or Richard McMillan (021774121) rmcmillan@tas.school.nz.